Thursday 7 August 2014

I AM NOT A RUNNER!

I signed up for this half marathon in hope that it would get me out running frequently, moving more, losing weight, becoming the healthiest version of me. Plus a full marathon was lurking on my bucket list (emphasis on the word was). However last night, whilst running 5K around Florence Park in the sunshine I realised something.

 I AM NOT A RUNNER!

Many people could have told you that, from my PE primary school teacher, to my boyfriend and if you’re reading this and you know me, you probably knew that already.

Now 'rumming' a half marathon
is more my kind of thing
It took me until yesterday to realise this (better late than never), but I don’t particularly enjoy running. I want too, I always thought it would be cool to be a runner – I’ve always admire runners for various reasons. They’ve got a great physique, they can eat loads of carbs, they seem to easily run distances that I struggle to walk, plus they always seem so switched on and determined in life. So being a runner to me seemed to be the ultimate picture of health.  I’m not saying I don’t like exercise, I’m very happy in exercise classes or on the cross-trainer.

However what I do like about running is I am slowly improving and seeing progress, and that I have a challenge to work towards (have I mentioned that I’m running the Oxford half marathon?). I was hoping that along my journey that I would fall in love with running, and that by now I would be at the stage where running was just something I do 3-4 times a week and don’t even think about it, but I’m not there. I'm still pep talking myself into running on my drive home from work, finding excuses of why I shouldn't go, then reasons why I should. So far I've been good with getting out there and putting my left foot in front of my right with a bounce in my step. Though,with less than 10 weeks to go, I feel like I'm never going to get there to the 13.1 mile stage, but I'm determined, even if I have to walk / crawl across the finish line, I'll make it. 

I’m also running for the Williams Syndrome Foundation, a cause that is extremely close to my heart. Williams Syndrome does not get enough exposure or research into it, so the more we can do the better. Yesterday after completing my fourth kilometer and sweating buckets, wanting to give up, this is what got me through; the fact I’m doing this for the Williams Syndrome Foundation and for everyone and their families who are affected by it.


So whilst I’m not a runner, I’ll still keep running for the next 10 weeks and I will  run 13.1miles around Oxford (and collapse in a big heap at the end). If you would like to sponsor me and my team you can do by clicking here. Thank you to everyone who has donated so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment