Tuesday 12 August 2014

Dear Mr Williams

I don’t tend to get emotional when someone famous dies, but this morning, as I was driving to work and I heard the sad sad news of Robin Williams passing, I had tears streaming down my eyes. So in memory of the wonderfully great Mr Williams, I thought I’d write him a letter.

Dear Mr Williams,

My first memory of you on my tv screen was channel 4’s re-runs on Mork and Mindy in the early 90s, I was very young and don’t really remember much of the show that well, but I was fascinated and envious that you could drink through your finger. This was one trait I wish I would develop as I grew up. I also felt a special connection with you from then, and my brother (Mark) said that our parents named us after you and Mindy, but changed a few letters (Mark and Mandy). My mother denies this, but she’s a secret sc-fi comedy geek, so I think it was on her subconscious mind.

From there your familiar face turned up in my favourite childhood movies throughout my life, your voice was a calming effect on children across the land, and your silliness created laughter throughout our household.

It didn’t phase me that you played a boy as Peter Pan  in Hook, even though you’re a good bit older than my Dad, you encapsulated the character of a boy so well. When we heard you as the Genie in Aladdin, we instantly fell in love with the Genie, that calming yet cheeky voice of a big blue man who lived in a lamp with the ultimate gifts – every childs (and adults) dream.  

Then you made my favourite movie EVER – Mrs. Doubtfire, I was 4/5 years old when this movie was released. Mum and Dad brought me the video and I would watch it every day after school, the video was knackered within a few months. However I'd still keep playing it, especially the scene where your dancing with the broomstick to "Dude looks like a lady." - this was the movie that made me fall in love with the comedy genre.


You continued to be part of the on-screen presents in my life, taking me through a world of emotions as I grew up. Crying in Jack,  jumping out my seat in Jumanji, covering the TV in green goo in Flubber, laughing in Patch Adams. You were there putting a smile on my face and others across the world through out.

I'm sad that your gone, though we never met and you never knew who I was, I always found comfort in you. I won't dwell on your details of your passing, as that was your own demons to battle.

Thank you for being part of the 'fun' of my childhood. You'll never be forgotten, and I'm going to make sure my future offspring definitely have you and your many characters as part of their childhood too.

I hope heaven is as magical as Never Never Land, as fun as Flubber, thrilling as Jumanji and that you do find a friend like Mindy there.

Nanu Nanu.

A big fan and admirer of your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment